Friday, October 22, 2010

Report on KFC's Double Down sandwich in Winnipeg

*WARNING: some images might be offensively
delicious*




And no, there's no mistake with the size of this image; it really is this big on purpose. That's because KFC's Double Down sandwich is that big!

First of all, I really shouldn't call it a sandwich. Sandwiches use bread, Double Downs use none.

Here is a description:
"2 Original Recipe chicken breasts, crisp bacon, processed pepper jack cheese, our very special Colonel's Sauce, and all the bragging rights that come with taking one down."


Well I guess they were out of bragging rights sauce when I ordered one because I did not feel like bragging about that experience at all. I think I know now why it's called the "Double Down".
The first Down takes down the brain's ability to communicate with your body. As I sat in the bus home from school, I couldn't bring myself to pull the signal to stop. I was afraid I'd miss my stop but managed to pull the chord. Then I couldn't feel my legs...

The second Down takes down your consciousness. I just woke up from a two-hour nap, no further explanation required.

The fun thing about this whole experience is that both of the times I went for a Double Down, I was always with friends.

Neil Babaluk, Jeremy Giacomin, and I were in Chicago in May with some other guys from Red River College for a and we went to a KFC just to test this thing. It took a bus ride and some walking but we found it. The first experience was definitely better, only because we still didn't know what we were getting ourselves into. The three of us vowed not to ever return to KFC for a Double Down experience again.

The second time we went (today) was with a handful of enthusiastic CreComm students, of whom four of six students were Double Down first-timers. You'll see the enthusiasm deteriorate at the end of the experience.

My final advice about the Double Down: have it if your health can afford it. It is very tasty. The texture is notable because there is no bread to hold it together.

Chicago:








Winnipeg:










3 comments:

  1. I heard there was like 500+ calories in that thing... wow! lol... your pictures are gold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what I heard was that there was more calories in a Big Mac!

    haha, Caitlin was fine. She was a Double Down trooper, nothing phases her :)

    ReplyDelete