Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Don't make the same mistake

I got my communication strategy assignment back from Red River College instructor Melanie Lee Lockhart. Everyone in the room tensed up, dreading the infamous CreComm autofail - where a 50 per cent deduction was incurred for proper names spelled wrong.

I opened it to the marking summary and, alas, an autofailed section. I quickly scanned through the pages and what I saw shocked me, more so, made me laugh at my own stupidity.


The funny thing about this fatal error was that the word '10HUNGER' was completely made up by me. I just wasn't consistent in spelling it the same way as the other 30 times I spelled it in my communication strategy.

So how did this happen? I suspected I hit 'ignore all' on my spell check twice: once for the first time I made up this word and second when I actually ignored this one with two h's. I just didn't pay enough attention and didn't even bother checking that I was adding to the exception a spelling with two h's.

Autofail: 50 per cent off. Mark deduction: 7.5 marks gone. Learning opportunity: priceless. For everything else there's pay attention to your words carefully!

3 comments:

  1. On the bright side, your strategy was a standout in terms of content, and will be forwarded to Winnipeg Harvest for consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, yes... you are right :) I'm just glad I have a chance to fix all my mistakes before it is handed in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John's right - your strategy was great, as were many in the class!

    ReplyDelete