Friday, October 8, 2010

IABC Meet & Greet more fun the second time around!

On Thursday, Oct. 7, 30 enthusiastic CreComm first and second year students packed the basement at King's Head Pub for the annual IABC networking event.

The event was organized by PR student Christa Campbell and IABC. Eight professionals from the communications field were invited to share their experiences and the path they took to get where they are today. The set up was the same as speed-dating even with the exchange of numbers. The idea was for CreComm students to network and meet real professionals in the industry. Both student and communicator had two minutes to interact and get to know each other before Christa, holding a timer, had to break them up by yelling "switch!".

It was a fun to see that the first year students were getting something out of the event. I was once in their position when I attended last year's networking event. I didn't know why I was there and what questions to ask. I managed to think about a handful of questions that I really wanted answered:

1) How did you know you wanted to be a communicator? Why PR?

2) At what point in your career did you realize you made the right decision? Did you have a defining moment?

3) Where did you see your career going? What is the future of a PR practitioner or communicator?

Although I don't remember the specific answers I got from the people I talked to, I know (and I'm confident) enough to be able to say that I have a future in PR because it is my passion and I love everything about it. I don't normally use the 'L' word but PR makes me that kinda guy...

I love PR!

3 comments:

  1. Awww...are you the monkey or the teddy bear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the monkey. I tried hard to find a good picture of a monkey hugging a banana... I almost titled this post "The PR monkey". haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I love this post! FYI, the reviews of the event from the first-year students who attended were great, too!

    ReplyDelete