Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Needed: quick edits

When I worked for a telecommunications company in the summer, I was required to work on a tight deadline. That meant editing internal communications articles that were posted on the company intranet every week. During the festival season, I had to edit festival write ups every Monday so I could get my manager's approval on it then send it to translation. It became so routine that I knew to input my changes as soon as possible whenever I saw that piece of paper sitting on my chair. That meant my manager has input his edits and it was time for me to accept them and send the article to be translated to French the next day.

I knew time was of importance when it came to editing my festival write ups because of the process involved to get it onto the intranet site. There were some things in life that required consistency and a regular schedule. This could be experienced while working for any company.

Take for example working for Shoppers Drug Mart. Whenever they put on a sale, someone would have to 1) put on the sale tags before the sale (before they opened) and 2) take the sale tags off when the sale was done. Why? Because they wouldn't want anyone asking for the sale price when in fact the item is no longer on sale. It was very important for them to remove the sale tag prices after the sale was done to avoid negative customer interactions.



But how about the example below? Why would a billboard company like Pattison or Viacom wait to edit Judy Wasylycia-Leis's old mayoral ad on Portage Avenue and Sherburn Street?

reads: "Because you deserve better, Judy for Mayor"
Maybe there was a signed contract? Maybe Judy wanted it left on to make people in Winnipeg think she won? Maybe Judy was not aware this actually exists? Maybe it was taken down and Sam Katz paid to put it back on? I don't know.

Either way, someone has to act fast.

1 comment:

  1. My sense is they haven't sold the space, and they definitely want to leave it vacant.

    ReplyDelete