Saturday, November 27, 2010

Come fly with me

Semester 4 of my Creative Communications journey will be kick start with a work placement at Winnipeg Airports Authority.

As I recollect the events in the fall of 2005 until winter of 2006, I couldn't help but wonder where I would have ended had I pursued a career in aviation. When I left Providence College, I vowed I would return to the aviation field once more. This work placement is key to achieving that dream.

The first round of work placements for second year CreComms start on January 3 to January 21 with the second round happening in April 11 to 29 with the hopes of landing a job after the three week placement.

Getting placed in WAA was exactly where I wanted to be. Students were able to choose from different types of organizations varying from corporate, not-for-profit, government, to name a few. They were asked to number their preference and a work placement advisor was assigned to each CreComm student.

Melanie Lee Lockhart is my work placement advisor and was able to get me a spot in WAA. I will be reporting to Melanie and keeping her updated with my learning progress at WAA. Christine Alongi, Director, Communications & Public Affairs, will be my contact and supervisor during my work placement in January.

Looking at WAA's web site, I am amazed by the number of social media outlets WAA has. WAA has a blog, a Twitter account, a Facebook page, and a YouTube channel. How cool WAA!

I don't have expectations of what I'm going to be doing at WAA but I'm hoping I get to do some social media and communicate the idea that travel by air is safe and passengers can actually have a pleasant experience at the airport if they are better prepared.

Having previous experience flying in planes allow me to be the passenger, the pilot, and the flight attendant. OK, maybe not a flight attendant. True story: I applied to become an air traffic controller in 2008. Working at WAA will be very interesting and engaging for me because of all these previous experience in the aviation industry. This time around, I can't wait to be learning from and working at the organization that controls how airports in Winnipeg are operated.

To get my head in the clouds, I'm posting some pics from my flight training experience at Harv's Air in Steinbach.

A fraction of Harv's fleet

Airplanes have names called identifiers. This airplane is called Delta Tango Alpha (DTA)

Cessna 152s only have room for two people

As the airplane climbs from the end of the runway

Not a lot to see out in Steinbach, Manitoba

View as the airplane leaves the runway behind


2 comments:

  1. Eman, you are such a mystery man. Flying airplanes? That's so cool.
    Excellent song choice btw. Good luck at the WAA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Greg. Good luck with your placement at Winnipeg Humane Society.

    ReplyDelete