Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Zellers saves on banners so you can save on...

I was waiting at the parking lot of Grant Park Shopping Centre when I spotted this banner - and I was confused by it...

Banner posted on the right side of the store, facing the parking lot
It read "YOUR NEW" in caps and "Coming This Summer!" underneath it. The logo with the "NOW OPEN" was actually printed on a separate white banner placed over the red banner to hide something???

I understand these banners cost much. I worked for MTS Allstream Inc. in the summer and got banners this size ordered through Contempra Signs; a sign design and manufacturing company. It would have cost Zellers between $200-$300 to make this banner.

So what did Zellers do save a couple of hundred dollars? They got an existing "NOW OPEN" banner with their logo and stuck it on an outdated sign. Let's say that they covered the Zellers logo - I tried to think of other words or phrases that would make the red banner accurate but I'm afraid that even without the funny quick-fix, it still wouldn't make sense.

"YOUR NEW Zellers (via the Zellers logo) Coming This Summer!" was what it was trying to say.

I thought it would have been better if the person in charge of Zellers' signage/advertising/marketing department, instead, grabbed a long white strip and covered the words "Coming This Summer!"

I was sure the purpose of the signage was to let customers know this particular Zellers store was undergoing renovations, with a grand re-opening set this past summer. So if the store was already opened and they still want to keep the signage, wouldn't it make more sense to say "YOUR NEW (Zellers logo)"?

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud with this one. So instead of taking off the old sign that says "Coming This Summer", they just plastered on the "Now Open"? A clearer message would have been to place the "Now Open" sign over the bottom message so you can't see it!

    ReplyDelete