Monday, September 20, 2010

Attractive moms need not apply

I was looking for PR jobs specifically in the Asian market and found this particular posting on JobStreet.com. Check it out and see!

Now if I remembered correctly, our Editing Print and Online Media class taught us that we needed to know who the audience was when writing so we could effectively reach and target them through our writing's tone, style, and choice of words. With this piece of writing, I thought it was clear who they wanted to apply.

After reviewing the "requirements" for this job ad, it made me think that cultural differences existed even in job postings.

The company that posted this job ad was Center for Global Best Practices (Philippines). They conducted seminars that helped companies by providing educational programs and professional development to its employees.

Below was a snapshot of the posting from the website. I thought it was surprising to see what requirements you needed to have/be in order to qualify for the position. I didn't think you could just ask for someone who was childless without explaining why the candidate needed to be free of motherly commitments.

I thought this was such a weird job posting.


 

3 comments:

  1. The "childless" requirement would be illegal in Canada unless the employer could demonstrate why it was a legitimate part of the job.
    The ability to work long hours without having to look after a child is not a legitimate requirement in Canadian culture -- or law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine the uproar that would ensue if this ad ran in a Canadian publication. Numbers 1 and 6 had me wondering if another "requirement" was hidden between the lines.

    I was once asked in a job interview if I had a girlfriend. It wasn't asked in a friendly way, but as one of the interview questions. I was taken aback and refused to answer. I also decided I was no longer interested in working for that company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is still a big gap on how candidates and applications are handled in Asia especially in the Philippines. Talk about photos! A lot of the folks there would spend hundreds just to have that 'picture-perfect' pose so that their chances of getting to an interview would be higher. I feel this is purely discriminative of women who are capable and qualified enough to fill in the position. the word 'attractive' is also used in the ad which I find very odd and subjective. The word 'childless' irks me as well! But that's the way it goes on that side of the world... I think your post would be a good point for discussion. Well done!

    ReplyDelete