Saturday, April 2, 2011

Plyometrics: energize without weights

The great Neil Babaluk and I started incorporating plyometrics in our exercise routine. I was skeptical at first but once we got started, sweat was dripping off my forehead.


According to a Wikipedia page, plyometrics was a type of exercise designed to produce fast, powerful movements that improves the functions of the nervous system better performance in sports.

The video shown above alternates from upper body to lower body workouts and focuses on building body strength and agility. Plyometrics was great to incorporate in your workout because it added a different dynamic to your everyday workout. Lots of people do regular cardio and weight training but not a lot do enough of this type of burst exercise.

There were many simple ways to incorporate plyometrics into a workout routine. I didn't even realize that something as simple as jumping jacks and push ups were plyometrics and could easily be added to anyone's routine.

I had my doubts when Neil and I started. I didn't think it would be enough of a workout to get anything out of it. Neil was always the measure to see if a routine works. We've been going to the gym for the last month and he was always wanting to try new workouts in the gym. After the plyometrics, my legs were very well exercised and Neil's calves were also worked to its limits.

Plyometrics was quick, energy-charged, and good way to re-energize a busy day at school. Everyone should give it a go!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post Eman... I'm totally going to try that out! Looks intense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian the Knapsacker - it's a good workout, good for the system. You'll easily find the box work your favourite! Thanks for comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, so as I said I would, I tried this. I was only able to remember the medicine ball squat jump thing last night and tried it out. My thighs have been aching all day dude! LOL

    ReplyDelete