Sunday, April 3, 2011

Eman's social media scope - What I know so far

This is what shows up when I start typing my name - I'm popular, mom!


The two most influential social media motivators I've had the pleasure to meet were 2010 CreComm graduate, Jenette Martens and my sister's boyfriend, Johann Generao.

Both people have taught me some cool things about social media that I wouldn't have realized on my own (with the little expereince I have):

What Jenette Martens taught me:
- When using Facebook to engage your audience, make sure your message is not too long as the post would cut off your message if you didn't mind the number characters you were pumping out on the post. She is a Social Media Convener at The Winnipeg Foundation.
- Use a pre-determined profile before engaging in social media. What she meant by this is there is an appropriate time to use the company's voice, a made-up character's voice, and your own personal voice in tweets and blogs. Knowing when to use these different voices is powerful in persuading your target audience.
- Use an integrated iPhone/BlackBerry app that will allow syncing with your desktop posts and mobile posts. An app that keeps track of stats and web hits is also very useful.

What Johann Generao taught me:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is very important. He works for an agency that specializes in generating web content for clients in Canada and in the U.S.
- To rank high on the Google search engine, the user (i.e. a person who blogs) must post fresh content regularly and as much as possible link media to existing sites online. This doubles your chances of being searched.
- It's not a bad idea to 'pad' your name by signing up on other social media sites even if you know you won't be using them. These sites rank higher on the results page because of the nature of the site and in turn pushes down any other news about you - Can someone say issues management tool?

This is my understanding so correct me if I'm wrong and I'll add you to the List of Legendary People Who Have Influenced Eman list.

No comments:

Post a Comment