Friday, February 4, 2011

Life After PR: A three-part series (or longer)

Last night, I was sitting in front of the TV flipping channels on the clicker when I ran into a show called "Life After People" on the History channel. The commentary's voice drew me to stop flipping channels as he sounded so concerned as he described what would happen if the human race suddenly disappeared off the face of the planet. Interesting.

But life after people? To me the answer was easy: there won't be life! All things will cease to exist. As you watch more episodes, you'll realize that even if you survive the mysterious apocalypse the world wouldn't be a nice place to live in. It was not like how Will Smith lived in the movie I Am Legend.

The premise of the show was predicting what would happen to our surroundings and the structures that humans have so carefully built. The animation they have created to illustrate this phenomenon was really well done.

Here was one example: Leonardo DaVinci's The Last Supper. What would happen to the fresco if there were no people to maintain it?



OK, so for something less bleak, I've adapted the same concept and applied it to PR to answer the question: How has life changed after PR? I know there are some things in PR that can't be measured but for my own entertainment and pleasure, I've thought of some things that I think have changed since the idea of public relations started.

Life After PR Topic #1 - Customer Service

Do you remember shopping at a store and didn't particularly liked the way they conducted your business? Maybe because of a bad return or exchange policy? Maybe because no one greeted you at the door or offered to assist you?

Have you noticed the company's policy change over the last couple of years? I remembered when return policies weren't as lengthy as 30 days. Some still have 14 days or less for exchanges and no refunds!

Exercising PR, companies were finding more ways to appeal to consumers by offering them a choice to keep or return their purchase - something that didn't exist many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment